Thursday 21 February 2013

People watching

I was people watching today in Falmouth town and it turned out to be a really interesting bit of research. I noted how few people actually acknowledged one another so I decided to start filming them. Looking back at some of the footage, I was really surprised to see how rarely people interacted. They seemed to treat each another as obstacles, not people. Most seemed far too busy, some wore earphones and others had their heads in their mobile phones. Is busy, modern life having a negative affect on human interaction?

How can I approach my studio practice in order to rejuvenate social interaction?
I want to invite the viewer in and encourage them to become more involved as a community, rather than individuals. I feel that participatory practice would be an exciting new approach to my work and I hope that I can combine this with my interest in human relations to create a successful piece of work.




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment